The original developer of Prey has just revealed a new game in one of its classic franchises. Rune II is the new title for the game previously known as Rune: Ragnarok, and is directly inspired by the original game, which launched in 2000 and spawned two follow-up titles, Halls of Valhalla and Viking Warlord. Was Revealed today by developer Human Head Studios.
The game was originally meant to launch on Steam Early Access, but that plan was axed and Human Head Studios communicated a while ago they received full funding and would, therefore, launch the game properly. As it turns out, ESDF Management provided the funding and Rune II is now set to launch later this Summer on PC via the Epic Games Store.
Rune II will be based on the same Norse setting from previous games, Which will see the your player chosen by the gods to become Midgard’s savior . With new abilities granted by the gods as you endeavor to end Ragnarok!
Players will Race against time to prevent the trickster Loki from destroying Midgard as he keeps the world in a perpetual state of chaos. Aswell as open-world events, and a full story-driven campaign that you can experience either alone or in co-op with friends . You’ll battle legions of Loki’s minions in brutal melee combat, travel the world collecting rare resources, locate precious artifacts to weaken the Realm Gate and craft the mightiest weapons the Nine Realms have ever seen.
Are you powerful enough to take down Loki…or will a new age of darkness begin?
Checkout the New Ages of Darkness Trailer below!!!
HHS CEO and Co-Founder Chris Rhinehart said:
We’ve spent the last few years building a story-driven brutal Viking experience and evolving it with the help of our fan base. Players return to Midgard with a sense of familiarity, but with new mechanics such as God-given abilities, open world events, crafting, a full single/co-op campaign, along with UE4 enhanced visuals, making it a true sequel to the original.
Key features of Rune II
BECOME MIDGARD’S SAVIOR!
- Choose Your God – Kneeling atop the Divine Summit, the gods call to you. You are no mere mortal. With promises of power, glory and honor, each deity beckons you to join them. Which god will you choose to give you the strength needed to take down Loki and put an end to Ragnarok? And can they be trusted?
- Character Creation – You’ve survived Ragnarok thus far, now you must earn your right to enter the hallowed halls of Valhalla. Choose and customize a male or female warrior and embark on your quest to the Divine Summit.
- Open World Exploration – Traverse the world of Midgard in search of resources, artifacts and runestones to grow your power and uncover its mysteries..
ENTER THE MAD WORLD
- Quest Alone Or With Friends – Brave the end of days alone or invite fellow warriors to join your journey through Ragnarok. Sail a fleet of longships to overrun enemy fortresses, battle side-by-side against massive giants and vicious monsters, and stand as one force to face Loki himself.
- Brutal Chaos – Set in a rich world of Norse mythology, Ragnarok has driven its inhabitants mad. Only the most savage warrior will live. You must use any means to survive, including the bloodied severed arm of your enemy.
- Enemy Factions – Battle against Bandits, Cannibals, Giants, Dwarves, Surt Warriors, the Forsaken Einn Warriors, Draugr and more!
- Artifacts Of Midgard – Powerful artifacts can be found throughout the world, each with their own god-given power, revealing stories of Midgard, Ragnarok, and of the Gods themselves. Artifacts are the key to opening the Realm Gate where Loki hides, and can grant the power necessary to end his treachery once and for all.
BATTLE LOKI, THE TRICKSTER GOD
- The Ragnarok Timer – It is fated that Loki will die when Ragnarok ends. However, he has found a way to manipulate the flow of time and continuously resets the world, creating an infinite cycle of chaos.
- Perpetual Ages Of Darkness – Every time Ragnarok is reset, a new era begins, each filled with different obstacles: perpetual night, giant-filled lands, harsh ice-ridden landscapes, and more. You’ll need to traverse many ages before amassing the power needed to defeat Loki.
UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS
- Take Up Arms – Craft powerful armaments to survive the treachery of Ragnarok or take Flaming Greatswords and other magic-imbued weapons from the bodies of your slain enemies.
- Build A Boat – A worthy Viking longship to transport you along your quest.
To learn more, you can tune into a developer livestream on Friday, May 24 at 13:00 PST (16:00 ET, 21:00 BST) to talk to the devs and find out more details about the new crafting and combat features.